Friday, February 20, 2009

parents and teachers mtgs.

It is that time of the year, when parents dread and have to attend Parents & teachers mtgs. Since all my kids [5] are in college or beyond. I want to put my 2 cents worth in on these mtgs. I have attended somewhere between 150 to 200 of these mtgs, from pre-school to high school. I do not miss these, it is one of those things as parents you are grateful when they are done.

this is my list why I can live without them:

1. Do we really need someone to tell us that our child is ready for preschool or kindergarten? Can they count, says the ABC's?

2.You have a child who is doing just great in 2Nd grade and the only thing the teacher tells you is that your child needs to speak louder. They are just to quiet. This happen to be not just once but twice, two different kids [not kaci]. At the time I thought it was really nice to have a quiet child.

3.This is one of my favorite stories. I had a child in 5 Th grade, who the teacher told me was always asking if we could do this a different way. That the teacher finally had to tell this child, that this was her classroom and she was the teacher. She also told this child when she became a teacher she can teach it her way. The following year my child had a different teacher who thought this child was just great and rave about all of my child's suggestions. Teachers just like parents see what they want to see. What a difference one teacher can make.

4.After spending a Summer reading book after book, one of my kids as a six grader got a "C" in Reading. This is only time I ever question a teacher about a grade, I think she was shock that I question it. We discussed it. The grade stay, but she never got a "C" in reading again. At the time I would have accept a "C" in anything but not reading, not on this child.

5.Middle school meetings. Is there any valve in these? A bunch of pre teens social problems?

6.now in high school they have all the teachers sit in the gym at tables. You go in get your child's' schedule and stop and visit with each teachers. Of course you get in a short line waiting for the English teacher, and lo and behold , the parent of top student in the class is in front of you. Wow this is going be fast. Oh no, this parent needs reassured that their child will do good in college. i stood there for 15 minutes listening to this teacher tell this mother how great her child was. All along I was thinking, come on lady, it is AP English, your daughter is doing fine. When it did get to my turn, it took less than 30 seconds for the teacher to tell me my child was doing fine.

7.I always save their best subject for last, of course that is the longest line. So i always had to make a decision do I wait for 30 to 45 minutes or do I skip it. It always depended on bad I needed to build my ego. If I did decided to stick it out, it still only took the teacher less than 30 seconds to tell me they were carrying an "A" in the class. Secretly I was hoping the parents in line heard that,so they all know my child was smarter in math than their kid.

8. I really don't think I ever learn anything new at parents & teachers mtgs. My kids were always good about letting me know what was going on. I guess I was lucky to have such great kids.

3 comments: