Sunday, February 15, 2009

living in a large family

we were home from our date by 9:30pm, my husband was so tired he went straight to bed. [To be fair he did work that a.m. from 4a.m. to noon. ] I stay up much later to watch my late night TV shows and didn't go to bed until 2a.m.

we had a great time, talking about the old days, here is a few of the things my side of the table talked about. There was 15 of us there so it is pretty hard to get in the same conversation with everyone.

when my brother Jace was 6, he fell off the back of a hay rack, he was semi unconscious, he laid on our kitchen table for over 24 hours, so my parents could keep an eye on him. Back in those days it was what you did.

Then there was the time i was babysitting [free labor, not paid] my younger siblings. I had told Kate to go take a nap but she wanted me to read her a story. I told her no. Later I started filling guilty so I went to find her to read her a story. She was sleeping but I just happen to notice one of her fingers was black. She had wrapped a rubber band around her finger so tight that her finger was turning black. I got the rubber band off and saved her finger. I reminded her last night, without me she would of had one less finger. For years i would destroy all rubber bands in my house, I was always afraid one of my kids might try to do this also.

Another time I was babysitting [ free labor,it was always free], Jace and Kate started a throw rug on fire upstairs. The worst part was they roll it up and put it in a big paper sack. I go upstairs to see where the smoke was coming from and find this sack on fire. It wasn't that they started the fire that bother me as much as they were dumb enough to put it in a paper sack.

All and all, there was 11 kids in my family, so accidents are going to happen. There is only so much you can do at one time. Think about the lady who has those 14 kids under 6 {i think}. without family support how is she going to do it. I get this feeling from her like she is playing some sort of game. time will tell.

well i am just glad that my children survived to adult hood without to many bruises and scars.

2 comments:

  1. good stories mom. it is weird to me that you are calling dad "my husband". I most always just refer to John as John. But you are clearly making Kaci happy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. arent you glad that i never caught anything on fire

    ReplyDelete